The Transportation Learning Center is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving public transportation at the national level and within communities. To accomplish this mission, the Center builds labor-management training partnerships that improve organizational performance, expand workforce knowledge, skills and abilities, and promote career advancement.
Statement of Purpose
The Transportation Learning Center is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving public transportation by committed investment at the national and local levels in frontline technical workers. We facilitate, lead and support activities that benefit all stakeholders in public transportation, through:
• Labor-management partnerships that create high-quality workforce training programs leading to high-performance organizations based in collaborations that support employee voice, engagement and commitment;
• Cutting-edge research and evaluation of human capital investment and its outcomes in public transportation;
• National training standards created through joint labor-management industry consortia that improve organizational performance, advance workers’ skills, knowledge and abilities and ensure safe, efficient and well-maintained public transportation systems that drive and serve high consumer demand for public transport options;
• Career ladder programs that create opportunities for incumbent workers to advance through training and education;
• Career pathways into public transportation jobs that provide living wages and benefits, with an emphasis on access to those jobs and continuing education and training for young people and men and women from disadvantaged populations served by public transportation;
• Greener work processes that create more sustainable communities.
Center Unveils Six New Instructional Videos
Posted December 2016
While piloting courseware in Charlotte this summer, Center staff had the opportunity to follow along with video equipment as CATS rail vehicle maintainers spent time on the shop floor getting hands-on training.
The Transportation Learning Center Celebrates National Apprenticeship Week
Posted November 2016
The Transportation Learning Center has been at the forefront of championing registered apprenticeship program for frontline occupations in the public transportation industry.
Center’s Efforts in Developing Natl Bus Apprenticeship Highlighted by Jobs to Move America Webinar
Posted November 2016
John Schiavone, the Center’s director of technical training, joined Stuart Bass, Keystone Development Partnership, and three other presenters for a Webinar sponsored by Jobs to Move America regarding an upcoming procurement of CNG and zero emissions buses for LA Metro.