The Transportation Learning Center is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving public transportation at the national level and within communities. To accomplish this mission, the Center builds labor-management training partnerships that improve organizational performance, expand workforce knowledge, skills and abilities, and promote career advancement.
Statement of Purpose
The Transportation Learning Center is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving public transportation by committed investment at the national and local levels in frontline technical workers. We facilitate, lead and support activities that benefit all stakeholders in public transportation, through:
• Labor-management partnerships that create high-quality workforce training programs leading to high-performance organizations based in collaborations that support employee voice, engagement and commitment;
• Cutting-edge research and evaluation of human capital investment and its outcomes in public transportation;
• National training standards created through joint labor-management industry consortia that improve organizational performance, advance workers’ skills, knowledge and abilities and ensure safe, efficient and well-maintained public transportation systems that drive and serve high consumer demand for public transport options;
• Career ladder programs that create opportunities for incumbent workers to advance through training and education;
• Career pathways into public transportation jobs that provide living wages and benefits, with an emphasis on access to those jobs and continuing education and training for young people and men and women from disadvantaged populations served by public transportation;
• Greener work processes that create more sustainable communities.
Center Led National Rail Car Consortium Keeps Making Headway
Posted February 2018
Making Headway is the Center’s newsletter reporting on the National Rail Car Training Consortium’s recent activities. The third issue is now available on our website.
Center Staff Tours MTA Heavy Rail Facility
Posted February 2018
On January 24th, Center staff met with Rail Car Consortium member Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) at MTA’s Heavy Rail facility on Wabash Avenue in Baltimore.
Applications Are Open for NTI’s Transit Maintenance Leadership Workshop
Posted January 2018
The Transportation Learning Center will join NTI, GannonConsult, and other industry experts to teach the workshop. The workshop will take place on April 9 - 13, 2018 in Seattle, WA.