Senior Communication Specialist
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Contact Name: Joyce E. Williams, Office Manager/HR
Contact Email: email@example.com
The International Transportation Learning Center (ITLC), a non-profit organization devoted to helping frontline transportation workers improve their skills, seeks an experienced and self-motivated communications professional to promote ITLC’s work through public relations, social media, and other outreach activities. This includes planning the organization’s overall communications strategies; managing content creation to increase awareness and engagement by identifying, developing, and leveraging compelling coverage of ITLC and its partners’ work; managing copy and creative; and ensuring effective and consistent communications and marketing practices internally.
Founded in 2001, the International Transportation Learning Center is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization based in Silver Spring, MD. It is dedicated to advancing public transit and other transportation sectors at the national level and within state and local communities. To accomplish this mission, the ITLC builds partnerships between frontline transportation workers and managers that improve organizational capacity and expand worker skills and career opportunities.
- Working with ITLC’s Board of Directors, staff and partners, develop a comprehensive communications and public relations program that encompasses short-term and long-term communications strategies, digital assets including websites, social media platforms and email, and branded materials
- Collaborate with the graphic designer on building powerful brand identities of the ITLC and its affiliates, including but not limited to a logos, key art, typography, color palettes, brand patterns, brand guidelines, social media templates, and brand kit packages
- Ensure effective and consistent communications practices internally
- Create and manage website content
- Working with an off-site graphic designer, project manage the design of key marketing collaterals and outreach materials including electronic newsletters, print newsletters, fact sheets, PowerPoint presentations, event programs, brochures, displays, signs, posters, social media content and all other internal/external communication content
- Manage media relations, write and publish news releases, and respond to media inquiries
- Establish strategies for distribution of electronic newsletters and social media content
- Collaborate on the management of marketing and communications calendar and oversee implementation of content
- Assist in the copy-editing of publications prior to printing, including reports and papers
- Help storyboard and write questions/scrips for promotional videos, including interviews of key stakeholders
- Build long-term relationships with influencers and key stakeholders
- Perform other related tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field such as Communications, Public Relations, Sociology, Political Science.
- At least five (5) years of professional experience with communications, marketing and outreach, public relations, and media relations; equivalent combinations of education and work experience will be considered.
- Strong computer skills, including but not limited to Microsoft Suite and web CRM
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Outstanding written communication and copywriting skills
- Excellent portfolio with a proven track record of successful project management examples
- Outstanding organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Documented application of social media, web, and e-marketing best practices
- High attention to detail especially with written and external communications
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision, under pressure, manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in collaborative multi-cultural settings
- Familiarity with labor unions, nonprofits, community organizations, transit and transportation industry and policies, and passion around equity issues a definite plus
- Experience in video and photo editing a plus
- Experience in web design and content production a plus
Location: Silver Spring, MD (Near the Silver Spring Metro Station)
Type of Employment: Full-time permanent.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package including healthcare, dental, vision insurance; life/disability insurance; company contribution to Simplified Employee Pension Plan and employee voluntary contribution to 403(b) retirement program ; generous paid vacation and holidays; flexible schedule
Start Date: ASAP
Application Instructions: Send a resume and cover letter with salary expectations by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
International Transportation Learning Center
8403 Colesville Road
Silver Spring, MD 20910
The ITLC values diversity, inclusion, and equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, age, sex (Including sexual orientation, gender identity, and pregnancy), national or ethnic origin, religion, disability, or veteran status. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.