The Transportation Learning Center is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving public transportation at the national level and within communities. To accomplish this mission, the Center builds labor-management training partnerships that improve organizational performance, expand workforce knowledge, skills and abilities, and promote career advancement.
Statement of Purpose
The Transportation Learning Center is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving public transportation by committed investment at the national and local levels in frontline technical workers. We facilitate, lead and support activities that benefit all stakeholders in public transportation, through:
• Labor-management partnerships that create high-quality workforce training programs leading to high-performance organizations based in collaborations that support employee voice, engagement and commitment;
• Cutting-edge research and evaluation of human capital investment and its outcomes in public transportation;
• National training standards created through joint labor-management industry consortia that improve organizational performance, advance workers’ skills, knowledge and abilities and ensure safe, efficient and well-maintained public transportation systems that drive and serve high consumer demand for public transport options;
• Career ladder programs that create opportunities for incumbent workers to advance through training and education;
• Career pathways into public transportation jobs that provide living wages and benefits, with an emphasis on access to those jobs and continuing education and training for young people and men and women from disadvantaged populations served by public transportation;
• Greener work processes that create more sustainable communities.
This week’s update includes stories on
Posted July 2018
This week’s update includes stories on why there is a bus driver shortage, what’s the purpose of mass transit, how SEPTA got it right on a critical railroad safety system and the tunnel that could break New York.
Center Delivers Train-the-Trainer Program to Minneapolis Metro Transit Instruction Staff
Posted June 2018
The Center delivered the 5-day Train-the-Trainer course at Metro Transit’s Franklin Street Operation and Maintenance Facility in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
How Can Small Transit Agencies Meet Need for Mechanics? Grow Your Own Through Apprenticeship
Posted June 2018
The Center’s John Schiavone discussed the importance of registered apprenticeships at a meeting of state association representatives recently held during the Community Transportation Association of America (CTAA) Expo in Pittsburgh, PA.